The US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis is the first professional sport venue to achieve LEED platinum certification using the ARC platform. “Sports bring people and communities together, and U.S. Bank Stadium is a space that not only unifies Vikings fans, but provides a healthy, green and high performing building for all to enjoy,” commented Mahesh Ramanujam, President and CEO of USGBC.
This is the second LEED certificate for the venue, which was certified LEED Gold in 2017. Through its three-year history, U.S. Bank Stadium has:
- Successfully operated a “Zero Waste” Super Bowl in 2018 with 91 percent of waste diverted from landfill,
- Become the first stadium to receive a Bike Friendly Business certification, supplying over 180 bike racks,
- Diverted 1,862,000 pounds of recyclable materials and 950,000 pounds of compost materials from landfill,
- Donated 25,000 pounds of food,
- Supported environmental education with the addition of sustainability tours through its STEM-focused education tour program for students K-12,
- Used renewable energy credits to power the stadium 100% by wind energy,
And maximized the stadium’s eco-friendly design features including the usage of natural daylight and heating/cooling benefits through the ETFE (Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene) roof structure.
(Photo credit: Vikings.com)