The Senior Structural Engineer position is responsible and accountable for the designing of new builds, renovations, conversions and extensions. This position will ensure the safety, durability and physical integrity of the project. This position also requires developing relationships with architects and clients with a view to obtaining more work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, supervise and mentor a design team by delegating job responsibilities, managing project flow, reviewing calculations and drawings.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and discussing any issues with the Director of Buildings.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Set an example by following design process and procedures so the department is organized and runs efficiently.
- Ability to monitor project budgets to ensure project is successfully and profitably executed.
- Perform comprehensive structural engineering analysis and design with structural assessments and evaluation of existing structures. Report the findings to the Director of Buildings.
- Calculate the load and grade requirements or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Provide technical advice or management regarding design, construction, or structural repairs.
- Create graphical representations of structures and recommend technical design or process changes to improve efficiency, quality or performance.
- Perform calculations for building gravity and lateral structural systems in accordance with local building codes.
- Review tests such as soil, material, strength of foundations, concrete or steel.
- Communicate with clients when necessary.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of A/E/C industry terminology and procedures
- Expertise of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models.
- Strong understanding of building codes, government regulations, OSHA regulations and safety procedures
- Knowledge of BIM/AutoCAD software and other structural design software.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple requests in a growing company environment
- Highly analytical with the ability to calculate complex mathematical equations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Civil Engineering and a minimum of ten (10) years related experience in A/E/C industry.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Professional Engineer (P.E.), SECB a plus, ASCE, SE I or SE II, OSHA Certified
This position requires minimal travel (less than 20%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.APPLY NOW