Design/Build for the Replacement of the Kosciuszko Bridge over Newton Creek
Gedeon GRC is providing consulting services for construction management and Quality Assurance (QA) for the Design-Build replacement of the Kosciuszko Bridge over Newton Creek, Queens, to construct a new 1.1 mile long viaduct. This Design-Build contract includes a 600 foot long, cable-stayed main span to carry I-278, Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE) – East Bound over Newton Creek. This new structure is adjacent to and east of Kosciusko Bridge (BIN 1075699), carrying the BQE over Newtown Creek on the Brooklyn/Queens border.
This project involves construction quality assurance to ensure that all elements of work are being performed to complete this project safely, on schedule, within the lump-sum price proposed, and in compliance with the Contract Documents.
General scope of work includes site supervision; compliance with the Design-Builder’s Quality Control Plan to ensure that all requirements and standards are met, as well as schedule; to verify safety and perform workmanship Quality Control (QC); to supervise material testing – ensuring that all the tests are performed in compliance with ASTM Requirements and Standard Specifications according to QA plan; and provide complete daily reports of constructions activities.
Specific tasks involve:
- Design, erection, maintenance and removal of temporary bridges – to maintain 6 lanes of BQE traffic through-out construction with no detours or diversion of traffic to local streets.
- Reconstruction and realignment of local streets within project limits.
- Coordination and relocation of existing utilities (for Sewers for Water (NYCDEP); Fire Hydrants (FDNY); Gas (National Grid); Electric (Con Edison); Telephone (Verizon); Cable TV (RCN and Time Warner); Fuel (Buckeye Pipeline); ITS (NYSDOT); etc.).
- Design and construction of new bridge drainage system.
- New highway signage and pavement markings.
- Design and installation of new bridge, local street and pedestrian lighting.
- Work Zone Traffic Control (WZTC).
- Construction of New Sgt. Dougherty Park.
- Streetscaping improvements.
Tasks performed are being kept in accordance with the Manual of Uniform Record Keeping (MURK).