Job Title: Controller
Reports to: COO
Direct Reports: Bookkeeper, Accounting Specialist
Position: Full Time
Location: Syosset, NY
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Controller position is responsible, and accountable for the accounting operations of the company, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintaining the system of accounting records, establishing a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, cash management and risk management, and ensuring that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller will also act as the key contact to outside resources, including bankers, auditors, and tax accountants. Further, the Controller will develop, manage, recruit, where necessary, a team of qualified professionals motivated and aligned to achieve the Company’s common goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage, mentor and support direct reports through training and feedback.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and correcting any disciplinary actions.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Provide accounting and internal control guidance to remote offices.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of A/E/C industry terminology and procedures.
- Expertise of General Accepted Accounting Principles and project based, cost accounting
- Excellent leadership/managerial and mentoring/teaching skills
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple deadlines in a growing company environment
- Expert knowledge of business writing style including grammar and punctuations with excellent oral and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise in QuickBooks
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Understanding of payroll software
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Accounting or Finance, and a minimum of five years related experience in A/E/C field preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
CPA a plus.
This position requires minimal travel (less than 10%).
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.