Senior Traffic/Transportation Engineer
The Senior Traffic/Transportation Engineer is responsible and accountable for the supervision and development of plans on public and private transportation infrastructure projects in NYC, NY & NJ. Must have demonstrated successful project management experience with project scope and schedules. This position will prepare designs, specifications, or estimates for the modification of existing streets, highways, or freeways to improve traffic flow.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, mentor and support direct reports through training and feedback.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and correcting any disciplinary actions.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Maintain budgets for projects and ensure the projects stay within budget guidelines.
- Manage and performing traffic engineering studies and simulation analysis including developing and managing traffic data collection programs, capacity analysis, accident studies, signal warrant, roundabout study, level of service and intersection analysis and arterial/corridor analysis.
- Provide traffic inputs for environmental studies and roadway design including traffic impact studies, geometric design, intersection design, traffic signals, roadway signing, pavement marking, and WZTC/MPT plans, Design Approval Document, and/or traffic signal operation analyses.
- Formulate teams to design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or infrastructure such as airports, geometric, signing, striping, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Review construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimates to ensure accuracy and conformity to client standards.
- Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Analyze traffic problems, studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions, accident rates, safety measures or pedestrian volume or practices to identify problems and plan for potential project impact.
- Prepare technical or statistical reports as required by the client.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damages or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for all projects.
- Evaluate traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine the need for modification or expansion.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include stress calculations.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, or other government regulations.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and personnel regarding design or repairs.
- Partner with Marketing Director to prepare and present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Participate in client meetings such as proposal, progress and completion meetings when necessary.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of civil and traffic engineering with significant experience with roadway engineering, drainage and utility design, MOT and project management.
- Experience with New York (city and state) agencies such as NYSDOT and NYCDOT.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and the coordination of people and resources.
- Expertise of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints and drawings, and identify discrepancies or conflicts within the documents.
- Strong understanding of government regulations, OSHA regulations and safety procedures
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, MUTCD, AASHTO, NYC CEQR, HCM, HCS, Synchro, Corism, Visual, VISSIM, RODEL, SignCad, MicroStation, Inroads, GuidSign and Microsoft Office.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple requests in a growing company environment.
- Highly analytical with the ability to calculate complex mathematical equations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Civil Engineering and a minimum of ten (10) years related experience in general civil engineering with an emphasis on highway/roadway design. Master’s degree (M.S.) in Civil Engineering and PTOE certification is desirable but not required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
NY Professional Engineer (P.E.)
This position requires travel (less than 25%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.