Senior Civil Engineer
The Senior Civil Engineer is responsible and accountable for the supervision and the coordination of project teams to create detailed designs of civil projects. This position will ensure a positive relationship with clients and team members to ensure project success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, mentor and support direct reports through training and feedback.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and correcting any disciplinary actions.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Maintain budgets for projects and ensure the projects stay within budget guidelines.
- Communication deadline dates set by clients and formulate teams to ensure deadlines are met.
- Develop detailed designs for urban and rural roadway/highway by analyzing material tests such as the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel, vertical and horizontal alignment, drainage, sewer, storm water management, payment markings, signage, signals and MPT.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, or other governmental regulations.
- Periodically visit project sites to ensure design specifications and standards are met and handle any concerns.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for all projects.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, or other government regulations.
- Review studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and plan for potential project impact.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and personnel regarding design or repairs.
- Partner with Marketing Director to prepare and present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Participate in client meetings such as proposal, progress and completion meetings when necessary.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of civil and traffic engineering with significant experience with roadway engineering, drainage and utility design, MPT and project management.
- Experience with New York (city and state) agencies such as NYSDOT, NYCDOT, and NYCDDC.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and the coordination of people and resources.
- Expertise of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints and drawings, and identify discrepancies or conflicts within the documents.
- Strong understanding of government regulations, OSHA regulations and safety procedures
- Aptitude and demonstrated hand-on experience with computer applications in Civil Engineering requiring proficiency with AutoCAD with Civil 3D, MicroStation, Inroads, etc.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple requests in a growing company environment.
- Highly analytical with the ability to calculate complex mathematical equations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Civil Engineering and a minimum of fifteen (15) years related experience in general civil engineering with an emphasis on highway/roadway design, as well as storm water management/watershed analysis.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
NY Professional Engineer (P.E.)
This position requires travel (less than 25%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.