GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineer is responsible and accountable for the planning, design and construction support of ITS infrastructure including power and communications systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead ITS-related technical projects including technical expertise and oversight, and client management.
- Condition assessments of existing ITS infrastructure and assets.
- Development of Concept of Operations documents
- Development of ITS system requirements and design documentation
- Preparation of ITS contract documents, including electrical and communication design.
- Presenting designs for review by technical and non-technical audiences
- Review technical documentation and ITS technology specifications/cut sheets.
- Support of ITS system testing and verification and user validation activities.
- Writing reports for internal and external purpose
- Using industry-specific modeling software to evaluate ITS deployments and related benefits.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Experience with some of the following transportation technology: Dynamic Message System, Advanced Traffic Management Systems, Connected Vehicles, Electronic Toll Collection, CCTV surveillance systems, electronic signage, traffic detectors, automated incident detection, video wallboards, transport-based telephony, Automatic Vehicle Locators (AVL), Traffic Signals, Transit Signal Priority, Adaptive Signal Control, and communication networks.
- Experience with electrical design and communication, including wireless technology.
- Familiarity with current and emerging standard methodologies on the design, delivery and operation of Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Familiarity with any of the following is a plus: Smart Mobility technology, Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) systems, High Occupancy Tolling (HOT) roads and Traffic Management Centers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication
- The ability to work with minimum supervision while cooperating with team members.
- Strong communication skills
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, systems engineering, electrical engineering, or related field. Ten (10) or more years of experience working in the transportation sector.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Professional Engineer (P.E.) is preferred
This position requires travel (less than 25%).