Director of Construction
The Director of Construction is responsible and accountable for overseeing all aspects of construction from proposal solicitation to project completion. This position will ensure all construction activities are in compliance with project scope, budget and schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Maintain budgets for projects and ensure the projects stay within budget guidelines.
- Direct, mentor and support direct reports through training and feedback.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and correcting any disciplinary actions.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Inspect project sites, attend field meetings and inform the Vice President of Construction of any potential issues including safety or legal, that would delay or prevent the project from completion.
- Develop or review safety protocols on project sites to ensure the safety of the construction personnel.
- Provide technical expertise to clients and personnel regarding construction procedures and safety measures.
- Implement construction policies and procedures throughout the department and ensures the department is in compliance.
- Partner with clients, contractors, Projects Coordinator and/or Human Resources to resolve any issues with employees in the field.
- Participate in project proposal meetings to evaluate the proposal and provide input on resources allocation.
- Interpret and apply state law, local policy, client policy and building code procedures or requirements.
- Identify new opportunities by maintaining and enhancing current network of A/E companies and state and local agencies in order to leverage relationships to secure projects.
- Promote strong relationships between contractors and clients.
- Direct the Projects Coordinator on building project teams to execute work in the most efficient way.
- Partner with Marketing Department to gain new proposals by participating in RFP searches, proposal solicitations and compilation.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, or other government regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge in the Construction Industry working with state and local agencies in New York on projects dealing with construction or rehabilitation of highways/streets, bridges, other structures.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and the coordination of people and resources.
- Expertise of techniques and tools involved in production of as-built documents.
- Strong understanding of government regulations, OSHA regulations and safety procedures.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple requests in a growing company environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Civil Engineering or Construction Management and a minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience on state and local government projects.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
NY Professional Engineer (P.E.)
This position requires travel (less than 50%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.