Job Title: Controller
Reports To: Managing Director
Date Completed: 05/2016
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Controller position is responsible, and accountable for the accounting operations of the company, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintaining the system of accounting records, establishing a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, cash management and risk management, and ensuring that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller will also act as the key contact to outside resources, including bankers, auditors, and tax accountants. Further, the Controller will develop, manage, recruit, where necessary, a team of qualified professionals motivated and aligned to achieve the Company’s common goals.
This position is located in Syosset, NY, and reports to the Managing Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The nature of this position is such that it is difficult to provide an exact breakdown, by percentage, of exactly how much time is spent on a daily or weekly basis on the essential duties and responsibilities of the position. The amount of time dedicated to certain tasks is often dependent upon the time of year and coincides with the work cycle of the organization. Below is an outline of general duties and responsibilities:
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Provide accounting and internal control guidance to remote offices.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Provides management direction and counseling. Supervises Accounting personnel, and temporary staffing as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Accounting or Finance, and a minimum of five years related experience. Experience in A/E/C field preferred. Expertise in QuickBooks required. Excellent leadership, project management skills; strong verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPA a plus.
The incumbent in this position should have the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent draw and interpret bar graphs.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and filing cabinets.
POSITION TYPE / EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This position requires minimal travel (less than 10%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
There is no personal protective equipment required by this position and its related activities.
PC SYSTEMS/ SOFTWARE:
This position requires that the incumbent be proficient in the use of all standard office equipment. He/she should have advanced knowledge of PC and software applications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual because of race, religion, sex, color or any other legally protected characteristic.