The AVP is responsible and accountable for the leadership and overall coordination at all levels during planning, design and implementation of engineering projects to ensure project completion in an efficient manner. This position plans an integral role in the overall success of engineering projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the VP of Civil Engineer in managing the Civil Engineering Department.
- Perform design work
- Perform quality review of construction documents
- Manage projects, clients and staff
- Monitor schedule of all projects within the Civil Engineering Department
- Work in collaboration with Accounting to prepare invoices for all Civil Design projects
- Manage financial performance of the Design projects; achieve budgeted profitability and growth.
- Direct, mentor and support direct reports through training and feedback.
- Review employee progress by setting goals and correcting any disciplinary actions.
- Ensure company policies and procedures are enforced and document any performance related activities such as outstanding achievements or disciplinary actions.
- Recommend employees for increases, bonuses, and/or terminations.
- Monitor employee’s workload and make recommendations for position additions or replacements.
- Develop budgets for projects and ensure the projects stay within budget guidelines.
- Direct engineering personnel in formulating plans, designs, cost estimates, and specifications for civil, traffic and bridge projects.
- Develop engineering teams to satisfy the scope of the project and monitor the progress of the team.
- Determine the goals and devise plans for each phase of the project to improve sustainability and/or reduce environmental impacts of operations.
- Review and approve engineering designs for accuracy.
- Conduct special investigations and studies to evaluate the efficiency of the engineering programs.
- Periodically visit project sites to ensure design specifications and standards are met and handle any concerns.
- Identify environmental risks and develop risk management strategies for all projects.
- Direct engineering activities to ensure compliance with environmental, safety, or other government regulations.
- Review studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and plan for potential project impact.
- Provide technical expertise to direct and indirect personnel regarding design or repairs.
- In the absence of the VP of Civil Engineering, partner with Marketing Director to prepare and present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Participate in client meetings such as proposal, progress and completion meetings when necessary.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Experience in civil design
- Experience in managing clients, projects, and engineers/construction inspectors.
- Has the ability to create and finalize construction drawings.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong experience with management software including Microsoft Project or Primavera or Suretrak
- Progressive leadership roles in managing multiple projects
- Thorough understanding of civil and traffic engineering with significant experience with roadway engineering, drainage and utility design, MPT and project management.
- Experience with New York (city and state) agencies.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and the coordination of people and resources.
- Expertise of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints and drawings.
- Strong understanding of government regulations, OSHA regulations and safety procedures
- Proficiency with AutoCAD with Civil 3D, MicroStation, Inroads, etc. .
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented, with the ability to maintain accuracy while handling multiple requests in a growing company environment.
- Highly analytical with the ability to calculate complex mathematical equations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. S., or B.A.) in Civil Engineering and a minimum of fifteen (15) years related experience in A/E/C industry. Knowledge of project management principles and practices
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
NY Professional Engineer (P.E.)
This position requires travel (less than 50%).
The incumbent in this position can typically expect to sit and use his/her hands to handle and feel for more than 2/3 of the day. He/she can expect to stand or walk for more than 1/3 of the day. Talking and listening is also expected for more than 2/3 of the day. The ability to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; or reach with arms will be needed for less than 1/3 of the day.
This position requires that the incumbent be able to lift items up to 10 pounds on an infrequent basis.
The incumbent in this position should have clear vision at 20 inches or less. He/she should be able to view various reports and forms as well as information displayed on a computer monitor and have the ability to distinguish between different colors. Depth perception, peripheral vision, the ability to focus and the ability to see for a distance are also necessary.
Gedeon GRC Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or military status or any other protected class. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotions, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay, or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment